I skip around a lot in terms of listening to podcasts. I’m partial to history, technology, and the arts. Here are five I’ve been listening to regularly in recent months:
- Escape Pod. Weekly reading of science fiction short stories. Some are good, some are weak, all are interesting. It’s great that people still write science fiction!
- History According to Bob. Bite size chunks of history ranging from Ancient Rome to the Cold War. All I can say, as a lover of history, is “God Bless Professor Bob!” My recent favorite: his series on the Berlin Airlift.
- Astronomy 161 - Introduction to Solar System Astronomy. College lectures on basic Astronomy. Even if you can’t follow everything it is amazing to contemplate what we have learned about our visible — and invisible — universe.
- In Our Time With Melvyn Bragg. Melvyn drives his mostly academic guests through a well organized and thoughtful discussion of a smorgasbord of intellectual and historical topics ranging from Unicorns to Imaginary Numbers. Not for the faint of mind.
- This Week In Google. Available in audio and video. I do the audio. Leo Laporte, a self confessed Android fanboy building his web based empire, joins guest hosts to discuss weekly Google- and cloud-related topics. Sometime gossipy but always informative.
Copyright (c) 2010 by Dennis D. McDonald