Neill Blomkamp's DISTRICT 9
A Movie Review by Dennis D. McDonald
This is an imaginative and exciting film:
- We get to see a different setting (South Africa) for an alien visitation rather than Los Angeles or New York.
- The illustrated political and cultural conflicts have a disquieting sense of reality.
- There are flashes of humor throughout.
- The action sequences are superb.
- The weapons and advanced technology are really neat.
- Peter Jackson’s WETA has finally outdone the special effects of Gollum and King Kong.
The clash of cultures depicted has much precedent. Subjugation of one “race” by another is a historical reality. Extending this concept to humans versus aliens does not require a leap of faith.
The film is not for everybody. Its “R” rating is deserved due to the frequent — and exciting — clashes of the film’s multiple warring factions. But I strongly recommend it as a very thoughtful and thought provoking piece of science fiction.
Review copyright (c) 2009 by Dennis D. McDonald