My friend Ken Yarmosh is doing some soul searching about blogging. Since I go through this same thing periodically myself, I understand his feelings. Here are the ten rules I left as a comment on his original post:
DENNIS D. McDONALD’s 10 BLOGGING RULES:
- Rule #1: Don’t write about blogging (i.e., no navel gazing)
- Rule #2: Write about the things you care about.
- Rule #3: Don’t write anything unless you have something to say.
- Rule #4: Write stuff you would be willing to print out and hand to someone you know or respect and say, “Hey you really should read this!”
- Rule #5: Write often enough so that people won’t ask, “Hey did this guy die?”
- Rule #6: Be sure to use a spell checker.
- Rule #7: Pay attention to what your stuff looks like through various feed readers.
- Rule #8: Make it easy for visitors to navigate your web pages.
- Rule #9: Make sure your links work.
- Rule #10: Do as I say not as I do!