I am experimenting with development of a simple graphical map of the online networking tools I use for personal and professional networking. I started this as a way to illustrate to people how different tools can be used and how their features differ.
You can see the current version below that I am maintaining using the MindMeister tool. This view reflects changes as they are made when I am logged into the application and I have "publish" turned on.
A couple of observations:
- I have not yet attempted to show the "interaction" among the different tools, e.g., the way Twitter messages can be displayed within Facebook.
- I've used icons to represent various "features" of the tools. The features I've tried to include so far are:
- Can create sub groups
- Can create & post content (of any type)
- Can do person to person messaging (includes email)
- Personal Use
- Professional Use
- Maintain Personal Profile
- Not Openly Searchable (e.g., via a general Google search)
Are there any important features I've left out?
I've left some tools off. For example, I haven't entered "Second Life" in a long long time (I could never get my avatar to look the way I wanted) and I recently deleted my MySpace account. I'm still trying to figure out how to delete my Pownce account, which just won't go away.